Provigil is a prescription medication, which is also the brand name of the drug Modafinil. Many users decide to use Provigil online overnight delivery option to get hold of the drug as it is more convenient and the drug price is also very less at internet drugstores. The prime feature of this drug is that it promotes wakefulness. With this in mind, the approved uses of this drug include treating various sleep disorders like obstructive sleep apnea, narcolepsy, shift work sleep disorder, and excessive daytime sleepiness.
Provigil does not actually cure these conditions but complements the other treatment techniques used. One can effectively regulate the sleep-wake cycle with this drug. Those prescribed to buy this medication should do only as directed by the healthcare provider without sharing it with anyone as it belongs to the schedule IV class of drugs and therefore has a mild potential for abuse.
How Provigil acts on your brain?
For a long time, medical researchers were unclear as to how Provigil really works. There is a study that suggests the brain peptides called orexinspresent in the hypothalamus affect the neurons linked to wakefulness.This, in turn, increases the levels of dopamine or norepinephrine. There are also several other mechanisms involved in the working of this wakefulness-promoting medication, which is also used off-label for many conditions.
Dosage of Provigil
Provigil is available for use in the form of orally administered compressed tablets in the dosage strengths of 100 mg and 200 mg. The maximum recommended dose of the medication in a day is 400 mg. Initial therapy with this drug is commenced with the lowest dosage and titrated to higher till the most effective dosage is found.
The typical adult dose of Provigil for narcolepsy and obstructive sleep apnea is 200 mg, to be taken once daily at the start of the day. The adult dose for shift work sleep disorder is also 200 mg but this is taken just before the start of the shift work.
Provigil should be taken only as prescribed by the doctor, without modifying the dose in any way on one’s own. The medication may be taken either with or without food. Store the pills in a place that is away from the reach of children and never share it with anyone.Consult with the doctor if there is still excessive sleepiness even while on this medication for a few weeks. Do not discontinue taking this drug without the doctor’s approval.
What are the side effects of Provigil?
Common side effects of using Provigil include:
- Trouble sleeping
- Back pain
- Stuffy nose
- Nervousness or anxiousness
Severe adverse effects that require immediate medical attention may be:
- Suicidal thoughts or actions
- Talk more than the usual amount
- Any signs of skin rash however minor as this will require immediate hospitalization
- Trouble breathing
- Chest pain
- Uneven heartbeat
Precautions to take while on Provigil
Provigil by itself is a relatively safe drug to take, has very mild potential for abuse and does not cause as many adverse effects. However, there are a few precautions to be considered and followed to ensure the safe use of the drug. They are:
- The drug can cause serious allergic skin reactions and one should get medical attention if there are any signs of allergy symptoms.
- Children under the age of eighteen should not be administered with this medication.
- Since the drug affects the central nervous system and the way your brain works, avoid doing any hazardous activity like operating machinery or driving.
- Although it is not currently known how the drug may affect an unborn baby, it is recommended to inform the physician if you are pregnant or expecting to become pregnant.
- Certain birth control pills and hormonal medications may not work as effectively while taking Provigil medication and other contraceptive methods may be required to be used.
- Intimate to the doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby, although it is not really known if the drug can affect a nursing baby.
- Never share this medication with any person not approved to take it.
Provigil is not indicated for use in those who are allergic to Modafinil or any of the inactive ingredients. In the case of rash or any skin reactions, this can become severe enough to require hospitalization and hence should be treated immediately without any delay.
Before getting prescribed to order Provigil, be sure to inform the doctor if you have any serious health conditions like angina, recently experienced a heart attack, have kidney or liver disease, a history of drug or alcohol addiction, and if you take blood pressure drugs.
Provigil is not approved for use in pediatrics for any indication and this should be followed without deviation. In rare instances, psychiatric reactions were reported, which should be consulted with the healthcare provider if any such signs are detected.