Modafinil, known commonly by the brand name Provigil, is a wakefulness-promoting drug that has many uses. The drug is classified as schedule IV in the US and available only with a prescription due to the mildly potential risk of abuse. The use of this medicine is ideal when taken according to the prescribing doctor’s guidelines.
What are the uses of Modafinil?
It is primarily used to treat sleep disorders like narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and shift wake-sleep disorder. The drug can effectively help to restore the sleep-wake cycle in persons for whom it is disrupted. The medication is also used off-label for relieving fatigue and as a cognitive enhancer.
It is currently unknown how Modafinil works to promote wakefulness. The medical researchers deem that the drug produces alertness similar to amphetamines without the stimulant effects, as well as impact the dopamine receptors. Peak effects can be achieved within two to four hours after consumption, with a biological half-life of about 14 hours.
Proper dosage which you should behold while taking Modafinil
It is available in dosage strengths of 100 mg and 200 mg with inactive ingredients like lactose monohydrate, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate, povidone, microcrystalline cellulose and pregelatinized starch. The general dosage recommended for patients with narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea is 200mg.
Individuals can take a 200mg tablet once every day in the morning. For some individuals, a physician might even prescribe 400mg for cognitive enhancement.
People with shift work disorder can also take 200 mg for oral consumption. They can take a pill each day one hour prior to the start of the shift. Patients with severe hepatic impairment should be administered half of the standard dosage strength.
How to use Modafinil?
The prescribed Modafinil dose may be consumed either with or without food. The wakefulness-promoting drug should be consumed as early in the day as possible, or an hour before the shift begins for those with shift work sleep disorder. Follow all the doctor’s instructions and also the guidelines that come with the product literature.
In case you missed taking the dose, take it as soon as you remember or skip it entirely if it is late or close to the time for the next scheduled dose. Never take two doses together.
- Avoid taking this medication if you are allergic to it.
- Inform your doctor if you have any health conditions, particularly if you there are any skin or heart problems.
- Always inform all your doctors that you are on Modafinil.
- There may be withdrawal symptoms if you stop taking the drug abruptly.
- Do not drink alcohol while on the drug.
- Inform the doctor if you are a pregnant or breastfeeding to discuss your options and also the impact on the baby.
- Avoid taking similar medication, caffeine or other stimulants while on this drug.
- The drug is not approved for use in children and is done only if the benefits outweigh the risks.
- The drug can reduce the effectiveness of birth control pills, and other measures may be required to prevent pregnancy.
Common side effects:
- A headache
- Upset stomach
- Difficulty sleeping
- Nasal congestion
- Back pain
Severe effects that require immediate treatment:
- Extreme tiredness
- Joint pain
- Skin reactions
- Mood disorders
- Heart problems
- Signs of liver or kidney problems
- Unexplained bruising or bleeding
The medicine can react severely with antidepressants and pain medications. Inform the doctor of all the medications you are taking to prevent any adverse effects.
Is buying Modafinil online legal?
Yes, it is legal to buy Modafinil online as long as you have a prescription for the medication. The drug is available at a number of online drugstores and can be purchased legally by presenting the prescription. Buying the medicine online without prescription can result in you ending up in legal hassles. Instead, if you do not have the Rx you can opt for the online doctor consultation, wherein you can get prescribed to take the drug. The Modafinil online Rx would be provided to you to order the medication online.